To access the HPC system you must use the virtual machine (VM) that has been assigned to you when your account was created. If you do not have an HPC account, your faculty sponsor can request an account for you. HPC Faculty Account Request Form
Your VM will have the same version of Matlab as the cluster along with the standard toolbox load and the Parallel Computing toolbox. If additional toolboxes are required, you will need to contact Don Kunkel or Phillip Valenta .
Mapping your home directory on the HPC cluster:
- Open “Computer” (“My Computer” on Windows XP)
- Click "Map network drive" on the top bar
- Select any drive letter you prefer (Y is recommended if available)
- In the folder box type "\\spiedie.binghamton.edu\*your BU username*"
- You will need to select "Connect using different credentials"
- If you would like this network drive to appear every time you log on to this computer, check the box that says "Reconnect at logon"
- Click "Finish"
- When prompted, select "Use another account"
- Input your Binghamton University username with ".\" before it and your assigned cluster password when prompted
then click okay
- You should now see this network drive in "Computer" ("My Computer") and be able to save and load data from it
- Inside this drive should be a folder named "MATLAB" containing a folder named "MdcsDataLocation-12a"
- If these folders do not already exist, you will need to create them. They are case sensitive, name them as they appear
- The "MdcsDataLocation-12a" folder is used for output, please do not place files here
- Navigate to "\\sparrow.bgm.bu.int\Matlab\remoteSubmission\12a"
- For information on accessing the Sparrow network drive, click here
- Copy the "SpiedieRemote12a.settings" file to your desktop from "\\sparrow.bgm.bu.int\Matlab\remoteSubmission\12a"
- Open MATLAB
- Open up the "File" tab and click "Set Path" and add the path
when complete, click "Save"
- Click the "Parallel" tab and then select "Import Cluster Profile"
- When prompted for a file, navigate to your desktop and select the "SpiedieRemote12a.settings" file
- In the "Properties" menu click the "Edit" button, and alter the the text underlined in this image
- Change "Y" to whichever letter you mapped your home directory to. If you used "Y" you may skip this step.
- Change "<username>" to your Bingahmton University username
- Go to the "Validation Results" tab and run the validation tool
- When prompted, enter your Binghamton University username and your cluster password
- Everything should validate, except for the "Pool Test", which will always fail
- Now you may run a MATLAB project as normal, and it will be completed on the HPC cluster
- To view the progress of your jobs and to view your available directories, you may visit the Platform Computing webpage and login with your BU username and your cluster password
For any questions or comments, feel free to contact Don Kunkel or Phillip Valenta